Why is it that we all understand the concept of getting an oil change or a tune-up in order to keep our cars running properly, however if you mention counseling or a marriage workshop people act as if its foreign and unspeakable?
Marriages need maintenance from time to time just like anything else. (Especially if you plan to stay married for a lifetime. ) Over the course of a marriage a lot of things can change. People change. Opinions change. Desires change. Even your situation can change. Taking care of your marriage is just as important as taking care of your car, your health, or your finances. It is vital that we make our marriage covenant a priority by doing the work that helps the marriage to grow.
Here are a few marriage maintenance activities that you and your spouse can do to give your marriage a winning chance of survival.
1. Pray for your marriage.
2. Attend a marriage workshop.
3. Seek and maintain a couple that can serve as a marriage mentor.
4. Schedule monthly meetings to discuss your marital issues and come up with plans to resolve concerns.
5. Seek counseling from your pastor or a trusted counselor.
6. Participate in your churches marriage ministry activities.
7. Spend time with other couples that enjoy marriage.
Marriage maintenance is a necessity for those with great marriages just as much as those with troubled marriages. Most of us don’t wait until we run out gas to put gas in our vehicles. 🙂 We can apply the same rule of thumb to our marriages. Don’t wait until a problem arises to seek help. May God‘s blessing be upon you and your family.